Rotary International Themes
Each Rotary year the President of Rotary International sets a theme for Rotarians and their Clubs to adopt in their activities. Rotary also has a set of monthly themes throughout the year, which Clubs can reference for activities and PR.
The theme distills into a simple phrase the mission for that year’s President, and provides inspiration and motivation for all Rotarians to achieve more.
Rotary’s founder, Paul Harris, believed that serving humanity is “the most worthwhile thing a person can do...”
The 2019-20 Rotary International Theme is: "Rotary Connects the World"
The 2018-19 Rotary International Theme is: "Be the Inspiration"
The 2017-18 Rotary International Theme is: "Making a Difference"
The 2016-17 Rotary International Theme is: "Rotary – Serving Humanity"
The 2015-16 Rotary International Theme was: "Be a Gift to the World"
2014-15 Rotary International Theme was: "Light Up Rotary"
2013–2014 Rotary International theme was: “Engage Rotary, Change Lives”
Click here to view the video of Ron Burton announcing his theme message at the Rotary International Assembly.
Click here to download a ZIP file of the full set of official 2013–2014 Rotary Theme Graphics.
2012–2013 Rotary International theme was: “Peace Through Service”
2011–2012 Rotary International theme was: “Reach Within to Embrace Humanity”
Click here to read the full speech made by incoming 2011–2012 Rotary International President Kaylan Banerjee, when he announced the new theme.
Click here to view some videos of President Kaylan Banerjee on Rotary International's Website.
Click here to download a ZIP file of the full set of official 2011–2012 Rotary Theme Graphics.
2010–2011 Rotary International theme was: “Building Communities, Bridging Continents”
Click here to read the full speech made by incoming 2010–2011 Rotary International President Ray Klinginsmith, when he announced the new theme.
Click here to download a PDF of President Ray Klinginsmith’s Presidential Citation.
Click here to download a ZIP file of the full set of official 2010–2011 Rotary Theme Graphics.
Rotary International Recurring Monthly Themes (every year)
- January: Rotary Awareness Month
- February: World Understanding Month & R.I.'s Anniversary
- March: Literacy Month & World Rotaract Week
- April: Magazine Month
- May: open theme
- June: Rotary Fellowships Month & R. I. Convention
- July: New Rotary year begins
- August: Membership and Extension Month
- September: New Generation Month
- October: Vocational Service Month
- November: Rotary Foundation Month & World Interact Week
- December: Rotary Family Month
Some past examples of Rotary International Annual Themes
1949 to Today – Rotary Themes over the past 60+ years:
- 2019 Be the Inspiration
- 2018 Making a Difference
- 2011 Kaylan Banerjee – Reach Within to Embrace Humanity
- 2010 Ray Klinginsmith – Building Communities, Bridging Continents
- 2009 John Kenny – The Future of Rotary is in Your Hands
- 2008 DK Lee – Make Dreams Real
- 2007 Wilfrid J Wilkinson – Rotary Shares
- 2006 Bill Boyd – Lead the Way
- 2005 Carl-Wilhelm Stenhammer – Service above Self
- 2004 Glenn Estess – Celebrate Rotary
- 2003 Johnathan Majiyagbe – Lend a Hand
- 2002 Bhichai Rattakul’s – Sow the Seeds of Love
- 2001 Richard King – Mankind Is Our Business
- 2000 Frank J. Devlyn – Our Mission – Create Awareness, Take Action
- 1999 Carlo Ravizza – Rotary 2000: Act with – Consistency, Credibility, Continuity
- 1998 James L. Lacy – Follow Your Rotary Dream
- 1997 Glen Kinross – Show Rotary Cares
- 1996 Luis Vicente Giay – Build the Future with Action and Vision
- 1995 Herbert G. Brown – Act with Integrity, Serve with Love, Work for Peace
- 1994 William H. Huntley – Be a Friend
- 1993 Robert R. Barth – Believe in What You Do – Do What You Believe In
- 1992 Clifford L. Dochterman – Real Happiness is Helping Others
- 1991 Rajendra K. Saboo – Look Beyond Yourself
- 1990 Paulo V.C. Costa – Honor Rotary with Faith and Enthusiasm
- 1989 Hugh M. Archer – Enjoy Rotary
- 1988 Royce Abbey – Put Life into Rotary – Your Life
- 1987 Charles C. Keller – Rotarians – United in Service – Dedicated to Peace
- 1986 M.A.T. Caparas – Rotary Brings Hope
- 1985 Edward F. Cadman – You are the Key
- 1984 Carlos Canseco – Discover a New World of Service
- 1983 William E. Skelton – Share Rotary – Serve People
- 1982 Hiroji Mukasa – Mankind is One – Build Bridges of Friendship Throughout the World
- 1981 Stanley E. McCaffrey – World Understanding and Peace Through Rotary
- 1980 Rolf Klarich – Take Time to Serve
- 1979 James L. Bomar, Jr. – Let Service Light the Way
- 1978 Clem Renouf – Reach Out
- 1977 W. Jack Davis – Serve to Unite Mankind
- 1976 Robert Manchester II – I Believe in Rotary
- 1975 Ernesto Imbassahy de Mello – To Dignify the Human Being
- 1974 William R. Robbins – Renew the Spirit of Rotary
- 1973 William C. Carter – A Time for Action
- 1972 Roy D. Hickman – Let’s Take a New Look – and Act
- 1971 Ernst G. Breitholtz – Goodwill Begins With You
- 1970 William E. Walk – Bridge the Gaps
- 1969 James F. Conway – Review and Renew
- 1968 Kyoshi Togasaki – Participate!
- 1967 Luther H. Hodges – Make Your Rotary Membership Effective
- 1966 Richard L. Evans – Better World Through Rotary
- 1965 C.P.H. Teenstra – Action, Consolidation and Continuity
- 1964 Charles W. Pettengill – Live Rotary
- 1963 Carl P. Miller – Meeting Rotary’s Challenge in the Space Age
- 1962 Nitish C. Laharry Kindle – The Spark Within
- 1961 Joseph A. Abey – Act, Aim for action, Communicate for Understanding, Test for Leadership
- 1960 J. Edd McLaughlin – You are Rotary – Live It! Express It! Expand It!
- 1959 Harold T. Thomas – Vitialize! Personalize! Build Bridges of Friendship!
- 1958 Clifford A. Randall – Help Shape the Future
- 1957 Charles G. Tennent – Enlist-Extend-Explore-Serve
- 1956 Gian Paolo Lang
- Keep Rotary Simple
- More Rotary in Rotarians
- Learn More About Each Other
- 1955 A. Z. Baker – Develop our Resources
- 1954 Herbert J. Taylor
- Glean from the Past and Act
- Share with others
- Build with Rotary’s Four-Way Test
- Serving Youth
- International Goodwill
- Good Rotarians are good citizens
- 1953 Joaquin Serratosa Cibils – Rotary is Hope in Action
- 1952 H.J. Brunnier – No theme
- 1951 Frank E. Spain – No theme
- 1950 Arthur Lagueux
- In club service we must beget our heirs.
- In vocational service honesty is still the best policy.
- In community service we can plan for the future.
- In international service we must reexamine our world.
- And finally we can extend the influence of Rotary.
- 1949 Percy C. Hodgson
- Each new member admitted into a Rotary Club to be adequately informed about his duties and obligations.
- A better understanding and application of the principles of Vocational Service as set forth in SERVICE IS MY BUSINESS.
- A contribution to world understanding and peace through an intensification of our international service.
- An outstanding district conference in every district.