- Company Director
- Year Joined:
Leslie Trethowan Whitcroft – devoted servant of his community...
An outstanding Rotarian and businessman, Les Whitcroft has pursued a lifetime of community service.
Les's achievements are many. They include:
• Founding Director of Australian Rotary Health
• PP and member of the Rotary Club of Ryde for 43 years
• PDG District 9680
• Chairman of Rotary International's PolioPlus campaign in Australia. Les and wife Shirley 'kick started' corporate giving to the Polio campaign in Australia with a personal gift of $250,000. Under his chairmanship, the PolioPlus campaign was very successful and easily surpassed the Rotary International target amount for Australia – $5.4 million
• Past Chairman of the Board of Rotary Down Under. It was in his capacity as Chairman of the Board of Rotary Down Under that Les had most impact on Rotary Clubs and Districts throughout Australia and New Zealand. He provided an interest-free loan of over $730,000 over 3 years to finance the purchase of the original Rotary Down Under House in Argyle Street, Parramatta. This building changed the course of Rotary in Australia and has provided a very valuable base for many Rotary programs.
• Together with his late wife Shirley, Les established The Whitcroft Foundation to benefit charitable organisations around Australia. Australian Rotary Health acknowledged the generosity of Les and his family by establishing a Research Companion Scholarship in their name.
Honoured with an AM (Member of the Order of Australia) in 1989, Les has devoted his life to the service of others.
Why I joined Rotary: See above