Ryde Rotary 2010–11 President Allen Horrell attended the recent District Awards dinner, where Ryde Rotary picked up a total of 5 District awards:
- The Presidential Citation with Distinction for the Club signed by Ray Klinginsmith
- The 2009–10 Rotary Foundation Certificate for being in the top 10 Clubs in our district on a per-capita giving basis, presented to retired Rotarian and PDG Alex Sawyer the previous Friday
- The International Service Award, awarded for Outstanding and Comprehensive International Service through involvement in District programs and Club initiatives that may also include an outstanding special International program or project (in our case the Borjegai School), usually awarded to the International Chair, but with his agreement awarded to Projects Director Rob Mitchell, for his central involvement in this project
- The Vocational Service Award, awarded for Outstanding and Comprehensive Vocational Service through involvement in District programs and Club initiatives that may also include an outstanding special Vocational program or project. This year The Rotary Club of Ryde introduced a four-minute rostered talk by members where they speak about their Vocation or The Four-Way Test, or failing that, they have the option of just reciting The Four-Way Test. In this way we as a Club get to hear more about our members’ vocations or to hear more about The Four-Way Test, the RI Ethical guide to behaviour in our vocations and in our daily lives. Once again Ryde ran the District Four-Way Test Public Speaking competition, with the finals held at our Club meeting 15/02/2011, as reported in our Hub, and we ran our Annual Apprentice of the Year Awards 16/11/2010, and our finalist went on to win the District Award too. Vocational Chair Jan Cutler did a great job organising another polished performance of this long-running and worthy event, the brainchild of PDG Les Whitcroft, who coined the phrase "Do it once, do it well!" Pride Of Workmanship was ably organised by PP Graham Rushforth, sadly deceased the next day, and run on the night by PP Geoff Brennan. We also had Vocational talks from all our new members, and two Vocational visits, so the Award was earned, I believe, by comprehensive excellence across the breadth of the Vocational portfolio. Since the District Vocational Chair was our Bob Kaye-Smith, he took no part in the award process, the judgement being made by the other District Chairs. The Award was presented to Vocational Chair PP Jan Cutler.
- The Norm Roach Website Memorial Award: Norm Roach was Alex Sawyer’s Aide in his District Governor’s year, and according to Alex, one of the finest Rotarians he has ever met. It is a great honour to have this award presented to the Club for our new Website, during its very first year since launching.